Friday, May 16, 2008

The Latest in the Potty Chronicles

Well, I finally found rubber pants and I was so excited. I just knew that he would hate feeling wet like that and within 2 hours he would be going to the potty, or at least trying. So we excitedly (had to make it a big deal for him) put on Elmo underwear and a pair of rubber pants with hundreds of reminders to go on the potty and "not pee on Elmo". About an hour later and 4 sit downs on the potty, he peed in the rubbers. So we changed them and put on another round. Still feeling positive we sat on the potty every 15 minutes and after the 5th or 6th time, 2 minutes after standing up, he peed in the rubbers. Being the patient mama I am (ha ha), I put another round on him and tried it again. Having just peed I told him to tell me and we try to go again in a few minutes, well he beat me to the punch and peed not 45 seconds after leaving the bathroom. Having reached my limit of undies and rubbers for the day and Daniel screaming from the other room (thinking he's starving), I put pull-ups on him and went to feed the baby.

So I feel like a potty training failure. I don't know if he's just not ready or if we just aren't using the right approach. That manual referenced a few posts back is looking more and more like a need not a want.

So that is my latest installment in the potty training chronicles. I am really sick (ear infection, not of the potty) right now, so yesterday we abandoned the idea so that I could re-think our training ways.

No comments: