Thursday, January 14, 2010

I Can't Imagine

Haiti. I could probably stop right there and you would know exactly what I am talking about.

Even though I have wonderful internet access and I am online frequently throughout the day, I tend to stay away from the news. That's right, I went all day yesterday not even realizing that Haiti had even had an earthquake. I kept seeing tweets about praying for Haiti and tragedy, but I didn't realize. I just didn't realize. I finally surfed over to a news outlet and was horrified by what I saw. Destruction, death, tears and sad, scared little faces.

It was at that moment that I remembered Daniel's physical therapist and her family. She is the sweetest person and her and her husband have had paperwork going for two year, TWO YEARS to bring home a sweet little Haitian boy. The Haitian government is still holding his birth certificate or something and R is still there. My heart squeezed and I prayed that R was safe. This morning I called A (the therapist) and she told me that none of the children in his building were hurt, but their orphanage sustained substantial damage. It isn't safe for them to go in, so the children and their caretakers are sleeping outside, in a neighboring courtyard. A told me that they have food, but their biggest concern is access to clean water. A's husband is traveling there next week to check on R, spend time with him and help out with repairs. Even within the tragedy that R and the others are sleeping outside, there is much to rejoice for~~they were not harmed! The Lord was watching over them. The buildings on both sides caved in and fell to the ground, but the orphanage, though damaged, remained standing.

All day today I have thought about those mothers who are helpless to help tonight. I have felt helpless before, but never on such a great magnitude. Mothers who are trying to keep their little ones safe, clean and fed. My heart hurts for them. My heart hurts for A and her husband, a child they love is sleeping outside tonight and doesn't have clean water, and there is nothing they can do.

I can't imagine my babies not having a nice comfy bed to sleep in, with plenty of blankets. I can't imagine not having such a simple thing (here in USA anyway) as clean water to drink and bathe in. I can't imagine waiting on a UN Peacekeeper to drop off food so my babies can eat. These are supposed to be things everyone should have. I can't imagine not knowing if my loved ones are safe because we can't reach each other. As I type my kiddos are splashing around in the bath tub, laughing and playing. I am crying. Crying for those mama's who are helpless tonight. Crying for those parents who lost babies. Crying for those who don't know if their loved ones are okay.

There are several websites where you can donate money to help the people of Haiti, here are a couple that are reputable:

Red Cross

Compassion

Tonight, as I tuck my babies in bed, I'll probably hug them a little longer, we will pray for those children, mama's and papa's that need help tonight. See, disaster can strike at anytime, to anyone. Tuesday it was Haiti, 2005 it was New Orleans, tomorrow it could be the the heart of the United States. What would you want if it was you? I know that I would want people to care and pray. I can do both of those things. What can you do?

1 comment:

forever folding laundry said...

I can't get it out of my mind either, and it's unimaginable what is happening. I'm in prayer and have donated and wish there was more I could do. It breaks my heart to think of the children....

~Keri