Monday, July 6, 2009

This Is Why I Request NO RUNNING IN THE HOUSE

One day while mama was hard at work packing boxes, the natives, uh, I mean the children were busy hindering the process.

Here is that story. . .

I was upstairs going through the toy store, more lovingly known as the play room. I was up to my ears in toys and books. Earlier that day I had been packing in the kitchen. I dumped some flour in the kitchen trash out of the canister, because I wasn't about to pack a flour filled canister. It was only about half full and I had another whole bag of flour, so I dumped it. I finished up in the kitchen, took the hooligans and went upstairs.

We had been upstairs quite awhile already and I needed some more trash bags (for toys going in the yard sale) and so I sent Makiah after them. Sam followed her, because you know, there might be an opportunity to harass her along the way. They went downstairs and I heard Makiah say, "look what I found Sam." Famous last words in most cases. See whatever she has, he thinks he needs. I heard her yell "NO" and he yelled back and then I heard running. Then silence and then "oh, look what you did". Little feet began a quick accent up to me. Sam appeared in the door and said, "there's cauliflower on the floor and Kiah did it!". I had no idea what he was talking about. Then Makiah came to the door, a guilty I-hope-you-really-love-me-grin on her face. "Uh, mama, um, there's a problem"--short pause--then in a very fast and determined tone she began again, "and it's all Sam's fault, he was chasing me and we knocked over the trash can when we (RAN AT FULL TILT) through the kitchen and I'm sorry".

Realization as to what the "cauliflower" was. . . the flour I had dumped out.

I headed downstairs to assess the damages and there it was, every last fleck of flour was on the kitchen floor. Makiah had tried to sweep it up and had just kind of smeared it around. Samuel had walked through it, over it, around it and left little foot prints all over the kitchen and then of hall carpet before coming to tell me about the "cauliflower".

I began sweeping. I swept up a pile and then again and again. Leaving a broom path of white dust. UGH!! Finally, I got most of it up and I went for the Clorox mop and got up the rest of it.

This is one of the reasons for no running in the house. And next time I dump some flour, I'll put it in a bag in a bag.

2 comments:

Mainly a midwife said...

Cauliflower on the floor. That is precious. Cute story.

Sir Nottaguy-Imadad said...

Life imitates art. I think I saw something similar on "The Little Rascals".