Friday, August 28, 2009

And YUM-O Is It's Name, OH!

Since I am back on track with the Great Slim Down of '09 and I am tired of the same ol' meals, I started looking for a new recipe. I happened upon one that sounded really good, easy and only required one dish. That is my type of meal baby. I wanted something filling, low in calories, high in protein and YUM-O and I got it. In keeping with bloggy love, I feel I should pass this recipe onto all of you. I did tweak it a bit, so I will post what I actually made and not the original.

Unstuffed Cabbage

Ingredients

2 lbs extra lean ground beef
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 large jar mild salsa (medium for those who like a hotter taste)
1 1/2 package shredded cabbage (cole slaw mix 10 oz pkg.)
2 cups water
2 cups instant brown rice, uncooked

Directions
Brown meat and onion in large skillet on medium-high until meat is cooked through.

Add salsa and cole slaw mix; stir. Reduce heat to simmer; cover tightly. Cook 25 to 30 minutes or until cabbage is tender.

Stir in water and rice; bring to boil. Cover; reduce heat and cook 15 minutes. Remove from heat; stir and cover. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Number of Servings: 8

I doubled the recipe and we had a LOT of food. The ingredients and amounts above are what I used, so for a regular amount, half it. It was great! My family really liked it and because I have a veggie monster (Makiah) in my house we had broccoli on the side, you wouldn't need to though. I also added pepper to mine because I like peppery food.

Here is the nutritional value for it, if you are interested in that sort of thing.
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 258.2
Total Fat: 10.2 g
Cholesterol: 39.1 mg
Sodium: 428.6 mg
Total Carbs: 25.9 g
Dietary Fiber: 4.1 g
Protein: 14.2 g

For more great recipes, check out Spark Recipes.

Over here is an update post, a post with play-doh and a poll, go check it out. Please and thank you.

No comments: