Wednesday, January 6, 2010

YUM, YUM, First Recipe of the New Year!!

I have been on a serious hunt to find this family some new, healthy, satisfying recipes! I have actually come up with several, probaby enough to have two new meals a week!! I made one of those new recipes last night and it was YUM-O! I got the recipe off of Spark Recipes, there are TONS of recipes over there and they all have the nutritional info with them, which is the main reason I love the site so much. I am not usually a big sausage eater, I mean if I'm going to have pork it's going to be bacon, but this sounded so good!! Here goes:

Easy Sausage Veggie Balls

Ingredients:
    1 package Ground Hot Italian Sausage
    1 cup Part Skim Ricotta Cheese
    1 cup Frozen Spinach, thawed and drained
    4 Garlic Cloves, minced
    2 Roma Tomatoes, diced
    2 tbsp Chives
    1/2 tsp Sage
    1/2 tsp Lemon Zest
    Pinch of Onion Powder
    Pinch of Black Pepper

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2) Spray nonstick cooking oil on a cookie sheet

3) Slice tomatoes in half and squeeze juices out over the sink before dicing them. This will prevent meatballs from being too watery

4) Mix all ingredients together (with hands) and roll into 6 balls

5) Place balls on cookie sheet and bake in oven for about 25-30 minutes.


Number of Servings: 6

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user BLUESUNSHINEFL. (me giving credit where credit is due)

Number of Servings: 6

Now, I had to cook mine a little longer, but that could just be my obsessive desire to make sure all our meat is thoroughly cooked through. I'm funny like that. I ate them alone, but you could have a side of your choice. I also forgot tomatoes, so no tomatoes in there for us, but I did quick steam some shredded cabbage (about a half cup) and threw it in there.

Because of one sick kid, one picky kid and one kid that couldn't wait until dinner to eat (he ate a Graduate meal and went to bed early), I am the only one that ate them. Hubs worked until 10 last night so he just had a snack when he got home. I thought up something delicious for lunch today with one leftover ball (there are two more in the fridge). I took it out, smashed it up and heated it up. I sliced an apple. I took two slices and sliced them very thin. I pulled out a whole wheat tortilla, layered on the thin apples slices and the smashed up, warm sausage ball and rolled it up. DELISH!! One the side I ate the rest of the apple. So good and so healthy. Two meals from one recipe, I like that.

Frugaltivity of this meal:
$2.25 Sausage
$2.00 Ricotta cheese (didn't use the whole container)~~$.150
$1.00 Frozen Spinach (didn't use whole bag)~~$0.40
I had all the spices already and cabbage left from another meal.
Total: $4.15 approximately $0.70 per serving YAY!!!

And yes, frugaltivity is my own word. Thank you. No applause necessary.

Nutritional Info
  • Servings Per Recipe: 6
  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories: 145.1
  • Total Fat: 8.5 g
  • Cholesterol: 44.5 mg
  • Sodium: 80.3 mg
  • Total Carbs: 5.6 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 1.0 g
  • Protein: 4.7 g






No comments: