Monday, February 15, 2010

Sweet Little Cora

I am honored to be have Kristine as my guest blogger today. I met this mama on twitter, in the midst of her tragedy. I was drawn to her because we share a story and because of her desire to help other families never experience a similar tragedy. Kristine has inspired myself and countless others to speak up (more) about Congenital Heart Defects (Disease) and spread awareness. Even though our stories aren't the same and we have never met, we share a loss. Meet Cora and her amazing mama.




I don’t want congenital heart disease awareness week to end. Cora’s Story.

The official Congenital Heart Disease Awareness Week ended yesterday. But, for me, every week is congenital heart disease awareness week.

My daughter Cora died of an undiagnosed and as of right now, unspecified, CHD at five days old.

Every day is Cora’s Day.

I work for her constantly.

Every week is a time to spread awareness.

Every month, I want to tell as many people as possible.

I didn’t know about congenital heart disease until after Cora was already dead. Since, I learned it’s the most common birth affect. Kills the most babies. Kills more babies than all forms of childhood cancer combined. So, I keep working for Cora and for all the little ones who lost their fight with congenital heart disease.

Cora and I hope to educate all mothers and fathers so less of these little one’s lose their fight. Valerie here at MamaLovelock has been working so hard for much longer than us to spread CHD awareness. We’re new to this battle, but lucky to have connected to so many mothers and fathers just as passionate as we are.

My biggest hope is one day there won’t be a need for a CHD Awareness week. But, for now the need is great.

No cure for congenital heart diseases currently exists. All that can be done are fixes to help as much as possible.

As Cora’s Story proves, not all congenital heart diseases are detected until it’s too late. More research is needed to find a way to pick up most, or all of these defects. Awareness helps fund research by gathering public support.

Until a sure fire test or screening method comes into place, arm new moms and dads should read the warning signs that their baby might be one of the one in 100 with a CHD and ask for a pulse oximetry test to pick up serious defects at between 24 to 48 hours. And, above all else, spend time reading about these heartbreaking conditions.

Kristine Brite McCormick writes about Cora (almost) daily on her blog, http://www.corasstory.org. If not on her blog, she can be found on Twitter, @kristinebrite or Cora’s Facebook Fan page telling Cora’s Story. Follow Kristine for more information about congenital heart disease or to learn more about the acts of compassion and kindness Cora has inspired.

{Today's post is in pink, for Cora}

No comments: