Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A Herd??

Illness has been ravaging our home now for more than 10 days.  Hubs is the only so far that has been spared.  I'll save you the gory details, but suffice it to say that I have stimulated these industries:  tissue makers, juice producers, OTC medicine makers and popsicle makers.  Today I have windows open (blowing germs out ya know) and I am scrubbing everything, again.

So because I am intermittently cleaning and laying down to rest, I am going to leave you with a kidism so profoundly spoken by the baby in the family.  Daniel was schooling us and it's just too good not to share.

We were in the van, leaving the doctors office when a very large flock of birds flew across the sky in perfect vision of the four year old.

Daniel:  "Wow, that's a big herd of birds."

Sam:  "Daniel (said in that exasperated tone), it's not a herd, it's a flock.  A flock of birds."

Daniel:  "A flock?  No Sam (equally exasperated), it's not a flock.  Birds don't flock, they herd.  It's a HERD (very enunciated) of birds."

I was cracking up.  Daniel was certain that it was a herd and he was not changing his mind.  Later that day we were talking to the grandparents on FaceTime and Daniel told Grandpa about the herd of birds. While talking to him I realized why he thought it was a herd and not a flock.  Here you go:

Daniel:  "Grandpa, sheeps are flocks.  Birds fly away in herds."

Mommy:  (because Grandpa was giggling) "Daniel, what is a large group of cows?  What are they called?"

Daniel:  He looked at me as if I was crazy and very profoundly said, "Mama, a lots of cows are a flock.  And pigs and bufflo's."  (That is not a typo, it's his way of saying buffalo's)

Apparently all large animals that live in a groups are flocks.  If a group of sheep is a flock then all ground animals live and migrate in flocks.

Birds however migrate in herds.


No comments: